Costs of the Application Process
The average number of schools that a Preprofessional student applies to is currently between 12 and 15. Applying to the average 12 to 15 professional schools can easily run from $3000 to $6000. And all of this before you ever relocate and start classes!
Where the costs come from?
- The primary application cost somewhere between $115-$238 for the first school and $32-$80 per school after that.
- Secondary applications can range from $25-$200 per school.
- If you plan on taking a review course for the Professional School Admissions Test (MCAT, PCAT, etc.), the cost average from $750-$2000.
- Review books for the Professional School Admissions Tests (MCAT, PCAT, etc.) will cost at least $60-$200. Registering for the test ranges from $175-$360.
- It is highly recommended that you gather your letters of evaluation in an online portfolio, such as Interfolio. This will be another cost of $20- $60.
- When you are invited to interview, you will want to look your best. If you need a new suit, the prices can range from $50-$300.
- Do not forget that when you start interviews that you will need to pay for the travel, food and lodging, easily totaling $500-$1500, depending on the location and length.
- Once you have been accepted, schools will ask for a deposit to save your seat, some of these will be refundable but you will need to put in $100-$2000 quickly to save your spot.
So what can you do?
- Start saving now
- Be strategic in your application plans and thoroughly consider each school
- Eliminate frivolous spending and pay off debts
- Research your financial options