Preprofessional Advising Syllabus
College of Natural Science Academic Advising 2015-2016
Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs
Office: 108 Natural Science Building
Office Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm Monday through Friday (closed from 12:00pm – 1:00pm)
Office Telephone: 517-355-8419
Academic advising at MSU is a collaborative learning partnership in which advisor and student enter a respectful, dynamic relationship.
Undergraduate Academic and Student Affairs empowers students to achieve their academic and professional goals within a global and diverse community.
Appointments are made through the online appointment system, https://msu.campus.eab.com
Walk in advising is available during the first five days of classes each semester from 8:30-11:00 am and 1:30-4:00 pm. Students are notified via email when additional walk in times are available during open enrollment in the spring semester.
Advising Appointment Attendance Policy
- You are expected to be on time for your scheduled appointments. If you are 15 minutes late for your appointment you will be considered a “no-show” for that appointment, which will be recorded in your academic folder.
- Cancellations within one (1) hour need to be made by calling 517-355-8419, prior to that, please cancel online.
Preparing for Appointments
- Use the online appointment system to make an appointment with the correct advisor.
- Come to all appointments you have made, or if you are unable to make it, cancel with enough time to allow another student to take your place.
- Familiarize yourself with your degree requirements and prepare a written list of questions to ask your advisor.
- Use MSU email as primary method of communication and check your email daily, this is how your advisor and the university will communicate with you.
- Compose emails in a professional manner and include identifying information in an email to your advisor. This will aid the advisor in answering your questions in a timely manner.
Student and Advisor Responsibilities
You are expected to:
- Make and keep appointments with your advisor at least once a semester.
- Prepare for your appointment.
- Keep a folder/notebook to organize information gathered at advising appointments and keep personal record of progress toward goals.
- Be knowledgeable of University and College policies and requirements.
- Utilize campus resources as they are necessary and follow through with referrals.
- Keep your contact information up to date.
- Dress and act appropriately.
- Review your degree requirements and research your career goals.
- Be open and willing to consider other perspectives.
You can expect your Advisor to:
- Coach you in skills for academic and professional success.
- Empower you to become a competitive candidate for admission to professional and graduate schools.
- Connect you with enriching opportunities in research, study abroad, internships, and co-curricular activities.
- Increase the success of students served by the College of Natural Science.
- Maintain Confidentiality.