FAC Minutes 03-15-18
College of Natural Science
Faculty Advisory Council
March 15, 2018
Present: S. Beceiro Novo, B. Coughlin, M. Donahue, F. Downes, S. Levental, D. Liu, D. Long, K. Olson, N. Ostrom, F. Peterson, C. Sisk, F. Telewski, M. TerAvest, K. Walker, and K. Yu
Approval of Minutes. The minutes from the February 1 and February 8, 2018 meetings were approved as written.
University Committee on Faculty Affairs Report
NatSci Student Advisory Council Report
University Council/Faculty Senate Committee Report
Update from Chairs & Directors Meeting
C. Sisk provided updates from the March Chairs and Directors meeting.
- Broad Museum administrators and artists are interested in partnering with faculty and units. They would like to use art to enhance learning about scientific concepts.
- The MSU Innovation Center must be involved in interactions between MSU faculty and the business world.
- There have been changes in hiring process for postdocs. Postdoc positions must be posted. The process of how the person is selected must be transparent.
- Granting agencies are considering a policy change to require reporting by institutions of misconduct beyond scientific misconduct. A different PI could be assigned to the grant.
- Membership on the NatSci RPT Committee is being reviewed. Members are selected, in part, based on districts (every other year). Female membership on the committee has been very low. Discussion at the Chairs and Directors Meeting took place regarding a different structure, including a larger committee. Any change made will require a change to the bylaws. FAC members will discuss the topic at an upcoming meeting. C. Sisk will obtain data needed for the discussion.
Dean Search Update
S. Beceiro Novo reported that the Dean Search Committee met with the provost and recommended three candidates as viable. The committee does not rank the candidates.
Vote to Forward Alternative SIRS Draft to the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education
The vote was postponed until April meeting.
Formation of NatSci Task Force for Inclusive Initiatives
S. Beceiro Novo reported on the formation of the task force. Serving are three members from the FAC, four from the CDC, a previous FAC chair, an undergraduate student, and a graduate student member is being identified. C. Sisk will be at the first meeting to present the charge. Task force members will seek guidance from the interim dean or FAC members. The dean’s office has arranged to buy out some of Kendra Pyle Kanaboshi’s advising time to allow her to chair the taskforce.
Dominic Salvatore Aluia (EES)
Saul Beceiro Novo (NSCL)
Diana Bello-Deocampo (IBIO)
Megan Donahue (PSA)
Kendra Pyle Kanaboshi (BMB, PLB; task force chair)
Danielle Flores Lopez (NatSci dean’s office)
Nathaniel Ostrom (IBIO)
Sarah Seloske (PLB)
Devin Silvia (CMSE)
Charge to the Task Force
- Evaluate diversity and inclusion initiative suggestions from the Council of Diversity and Community and begin implementation of actions to advance diversity and inclusion within NatSci.
- Conduct a NatSci climate assessment survey to identify areas where we are doing well and areas in need of improvement.
- Based on the results of the climate survey, develop a strategic plan for NatSci to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion within all NatSci settings (e.g., classrooms, research laboratories, workplaces).
Award Selection Process
Discussion took place about the award selection process schedule and about documenting the process in greater detail. There were no changes to the proposed schedule. It was decided that SurveyMonkey be used, as in the past, to collect comments and individual choices. Award recipients will be chosen at the May 10 meeting, which will be held from 3:00 – 5:00 pm. It was stressed that FAC members or a departmental representative should attend the meeting to assist with choosing award recipients. If a representative is necessary, please provide the person’s name to F. Peterson so she can grant access to the D2L site containing the nomination packets.
Next Meeting: April 12, 2018