Reappointment, Promotion & Tenure Guidelines
A guide (PDF) describing the criteria for promotion and tenure in the College of Natural Science and guidelines for the evaluation process. It adds to and is consistent with MSU policy and timetable. Slides from the Spring 2016 NatSci RPT workshop (PDF).
Note: An automatic one-year tenure system probationary appointment extension for reasons related to the birth or adoption of child is available upon request (see the Stopping the Tenure Clock policy in the Faculty Handbook for details). To obtain an extension, a faculty member must submit a letter of request (including the birth date of the child) to their department chair. The department chair signs the letter to acknowledge the request and forwards it to the dean, who also signs and then forwards it to the director of Academic Human Resources.
|Promotion||Due to College|
January 15 (Reappointments due December 15)
|Fixed Term Designation B||
Spring: February 28
|Academic Specialists||March 1|
A toolkit developed by the Advancing Diversity through the Alignment of Policies and Practices ADVANCE Program. ADAPP Toolkit.
- Checklist (PDF)
- External Letters of Recommendation Summary (Word)
- Form D “Unlocked” (Word)
- Funded Grants Only (Word)
- RPT Teaching Portfolio Assessment Tool
- Student Evaluation Summaries (Word)
- Stopping the Clock (Extension) Procedure Templates:
- Guidelines for Consideration of UNTF Faculty for “Designation B” Status
- Guidelines for Promotion of Fixed Term Faculty
- Policies and Procedures for Review and Promotion of Continuing System Academic Specialists
- Hints on writing effective reflective essays for annual evaluations as well as for the Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure process.
- Reflective Essay and Perspectives (CANR)
Estabilishing RPT Bylaws for your unit? See the NatSci Unit Bylaw Requirements for RPT.