Worklife Balance, Parental/Family Resources, Leave Policies
The College of Natural Science shares MSU’s commitment to provide a work environment that supports employees’ work and personal life. Listed below are links to selected university policies and resources to help you maintain a healthy WorkLife balance and address the needs of you and your family.
A Summary of Parental and Health-Related Leaves for Faculty and Academic Staff
Here is a summary table indicating the array of programs that exist and providing links to the applicable policies. Any individual requesting a leave will have to work with the unit administrators to fill out appropriate forms in the online EBS system.
Parental Leave Planning Form for Tenure-System Faculty (Word) - The unit director or chair and the faculty member can fill this form out together to plan for the leave. Then they will need to file appropriate request forms in the online EBS system.
Note: An automatic one-year tenure system probationary appointment extension for reasons related to the birth or adoption of child is available upon request (see the Stopping the Tenure Clock policy in the Faculty Handbook for details). To obtain an extension, a faculty member must submit a letter of request (including the birth date of the child) to their department chair. The department chair signs the letter to acknowledge the request and forwards it to the dean, who also signs and then forwards it to the director of Academic Human Resources.
Parental Leave Planning Form for Academic Staff and Fixed-Term Faculty (Word) - The unit director or chair and the faculty member can fill this form out together to plan for the leave. Then they will need to file appropriate request forms in the online EBS system.
Related MSU Programs and Offices
- Family Resource Center – providing information on campus and community resources to assist with work/life balance. Includes information on childcare, elder care, and other topics.
- Information for Breastfeeding Parents at MSU – including map of room locations on campus.
- Employee Assistance Program – a free confidential counseling service for MSU employees and their family members. EAP counselors can assist with how to improve work/life balance.
- Worklife Resources at MSU
- Parenting & Caregiving Resources for Faculty