Annual awards ceremony honors NatSci faculty, staff and students
- Nov 21, 2018
- Homepage Hero, Alumni, Faculty & Staff, Research, Students, College of Natural Science
Twenty-five outstanding MSU College of Natural Science (NatSci) faculty, staff and students were recognized for their achievements and contributions at the NatSci Annual State of the College meeting and Awards Ceremony held Nov. 16 at MSU’s Molecular Plant Sciences Building. More than 110 faculty, staff, students, family and friends attended the event.
Awards were based on nominations from across the college and evaluated by the NatSci Faculty Advisory Committee and the Center for Integrative Studies in General Science staff.
This year’s award recipients are:
- Efstratia (Effie) Kalfagianni, mathematics; Filomena Maciel Nunes, physics and astronomy; Greg M. Swain, chemistry; and Chien-Peng Yuan, physics and astronomy, received Outstanding Faculty Awards.
- Laura B. Chomiuk, physics and astronomy; and Susannah M. Dorfman, earth and environmental sciences, received Teacher-Scholar Awards.
- Laura B. Chomiuk, physics and astronomy; and Adele L. Denison, physiology, received Undergraduate Teaching Awards.
- Jeffrey K. Connor, plant biology at Kellogg Biological Station, received the Junior Faculty Mentoring Award.
- Victor J. DeRita, microbiology and molecular genetics, received the Postdoctoral Mentoring Award.
- Richard Hallstein, physics and astronomy, received the Distinguished Academic Staff Award.
- Katie Oeschger, integrated biology, received the Undergraduate Academic Advisor Award.
- Artemisia Spyrou, physics and astronomy, received the Graduate Academic Advisor Award.
- Beth A. Gagnier, mathematics; and Thomas C. Palazzolo, physics and astronomy, received the Support Staff Award.
- Brandon A. Coughlin, physiology; and Kelsey M. Funkhouser, physics and astronomy, received the Excellence-in-Teaching Citations.
- Mary M. Alsheikh, microbiology and molecular genetics; and Robin DeClercq, chemistry, received the Undergraduate Learning Assistant Award.
- Virginia Cangelosi, chemistry; Gina Leinninger, physiology; Amy Pollock, chemistry; Willie Wai-Yeung Wong, mathematics; Jane Zimmerman, mathematics, received Faculty Teaching Prizes.
- Renate Snider, College of NatSci, received the George Leroi Lifetime Achievement in Teaching Award.
For more information on the NatSci awards presentation and the Annual Faculty Meeting, visit https://natsci.msu.edu/faculty-staff/awards/.
Banner image: More than 110 faculty, staff, students, family and friends attended the l NatSci Annual State of the College and Awards Ceremony held Nov. 16 at MSU’s Molecular Plant Sciences Building. Photo credit: Micheal Jordan/David-Lorne Photographic.