NatSci faculty and staff members honored at annual awards ceremony
- Nov 20, 2017
- Homepage Hero, Faculty & Staff, Research, Biochemistry, Chemistry, College of Natural Science, EES, Integrative Biology, Mathematics, Microbiology, Neuroscience, Physics & Astronomy, Physiology, Plant Biology, Plant Research Laboratory, Statistics & Probability
More than 100 faculty and staff members attended the 2017 NatSci Annual Faculty Meeting and Awards Presentation on Nov. 10. Photo by David Jordan, DLP Photographic.
Twenty-five outstanding MSU College of Natural Science (NatSci) faculty and staff members were recognized for their achievements and contributions at the most recent NatSci awards presentation held Nov. 10 at MSU’s Molecular Plant Sciences Building.
The college presented the awards and celebrated their accomplishments at the 2017 annual awards ceremony held in conjunction with the annual faculty meeting.
Awards were based on nominations from across the college and evaluated by the NatSci Faculty Advisory Committee and the Center for Integrative Studies in General Science staff.
This year’s 2017 award recipients are listed below:
- Gary J. Blanchard, chemistry; Babak Borhan, chemistry; Alexandra Gade, physics and astronomy; and Jinliang Qian, mathematics, received Outstanding Faculty Awards.
- Kristin N. Parent, biochemistry and molecular biology; and Alfred J. Robison, physiology, received Teacher-Scholar Awards.
- Benjamin I. Schmidt, mathematics; and Melanie M. Cooper, chemistry, received Undergraduate Teaching Awards.
- Michael Thonnessen, physics and astronomy, received the Junior Faculty Mentoring Award.
- Robert L. Last, biochemistry and molecular biology, received the Postdoctoral Mentoring Award.
- Alan M. Fryday, plant biology, received the Distinguished Academic Staff Award.
- Kanchan A. Pavangadkar, neuroscience, received the Undergraduate Academic Advisor Award.
- Shannon Manning, microbiology and molecular genetics, received the Graduate Academic Advisor Award.
- Judy Brown, College of Natural Science; and Christine Van Deuren, microbiology and molecular genetics, received Support Staff Awards.
- Sarah Klanderman, mathematics; and Matthew Kolp, plant biology, received Excellence-in-Teaching Citations.
- Madelyn Klinkoski, biochemistry and molecular biology; and Jason Sammut, Center for Integrative Studies in General Science, received Undergraduate Learning Assistant Awards.
- Tyce R. DeYoung, physics and astronomy; Charles H. Elzinga, biological science program; Lisa Lapidus, physics and astronomy; Jeanette M. McGuire, integrative biology; Benjamin I. Schmidt, mathematics; Ashoke K. Sinha, statistics and probability; and Chrysoula Vasileiou, chemistry, received Faculty Teaching Prizes.
For more information on the NatSci awards presentation and the Annual Faculty Meeting, visit https://natsci.msu.edu/faculty-staff/awards/.
Banner image courtesy of Michael Jordan, DLP Photographic.