Financial aid opportunities are available to help you get on you way with Study Abroad.
Michigan State is committed to the development of programs that will cost approximately the same as a semester on campus for tuition, books and room and board. Financial aid (student loans, grants, MET, etc.) is available to study abroad with appropriate arrangements.
Students with majors in the College of Natural Science are invited to apply for Study Abroad scholarships. Students are not required to enroll in a Natural Science program to qualify for scholarships; students can apply for any MSU Study Abroad program offered by other colleges or the Office of Study Abroad.
- $750 for long-term program (10 weeks or more)
- $400 for a short-term program (less than 10 weeks)
- $350 for spring break program (1 week)
- $1,000 NatSci Competitive Scholarship
A minimum of one NatSci scholarship is awarded per semester or summer session. Selection is based on student merit and financial need (as determined by your application), essay and letter of recommendation.
Deadlines for applications
Summer, fall and academic year programs: March 31st
Winter break and spring semester programs: October 31st
Spring break programs: February 1st
How to apply
The NatSci Scholarship application requirements are very similar to those of the MSU Study Abroad Scholarship Application. Applying for and receiving an MSU Study Abroad Scholarship will not affect your chances of receiving a NatSci award
Email Beth Reid with the following:
Note: Students may elect to submit the same essay to both the college and MSU Study Abroad scholarship programs. Applicants will be notified of scholarship award via email or mail.
- Current GPA
- Local address
- Desired Study Abroad program and the country
- Program dates
- Indicate whether you have been awarded any type of financial aid (Yes or No)
- Indicate whether this is your first MSU Study Abroad program
- Attach an essay in a Word document or PDF. The essay should be no longer than one page and emphasize how the Study Abroad experience will contribute toward your education. Include your name, title and date of program in the heading. Topics you should address in the essay include:
- Why this country and program? (Relevance of the site/program to your academic career and personal goals)
- How you will apply your study abroad experience upon your return to the US?
- Qualities you possess that will help you be successful abroad
Other Scholarship Opportunities
In addition to the NatSci scholarships, students may also apply for MSU scholarships and grants offered through the MSU Office of Study Abroad. Requirements are listed in the application instructions for each type of award. Contact the Office of Study Abroad for details.