Reappointment, Promotion & Tenure/Continuing System Guidelines
A guide (PDF) describing the criteria for promotion and tenure in the College of Natural Science
and guidelines for the evaluation process. It adds to and is consistent with MSU policy and timetable. Slides from the Spring 2022 NatSci RPT workshop (PDF).
Note: An automatic one-year tenure system probationary appointment extension for reasons related to the birth or adoption of child is available upon request (see the Extending the Tenure Clock policy in the Faculty Handbook for details). To obtain an extension, a faculty member must submit a letter of request (including the birth date of the child) to their department chair. The department chair signs the letter to acknowledge the request and forwards it to the dean, who also signs and then forwards it to the director of Academic Human Resources.
|Promotion||Due to College|
January 5 (Response due to college January 12)
Reappointments due December 15 (Response due to college December 22)
January 5 (Response due to College January 12)
|Fixed Term Designation B||
Spring: February 28
|Academic Specialists||March 15|
- Form on Progess and Excellence is required by the College of Natural Science.
- Stopping the Clock (Extension) Procedure Templates:
- Guidelines for Consideration of UNTF Faculty for “Designation B” Status
- Guidelines for Promotion of Fixed Term Faculty
- Policies and Procedures for Review and Promotion of Continuing System Academic Specialists
Writing effective reflective essays for annual evaluations as well as for the Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure process.
- Reflective Essays written by MSU faculty including, College of Natural Science.
- Reflective Essay and Perspectives (CANR)
- Telling your Tenure story
Estabilishing RPT Bylaws for your unit? See the NatSci Unit Bylaw Requirements for RPT.